Welcome to the first edition of our Connect Newsletter for 2023.
As the proud Principal of our school, it is exciting to be able to share with you many of the great things happening in our school. Being a new school, this also means we have welcomed a new cohort of students into year 7 – more than doubling the size of our learning community. The first 5 weeks of the year have gone very quickly, but it has been rewarding to see so how proud our students and parents are of our school. This was especially evident at our first Assembly of the year,.
It was especially pleasing to see so many of our new families attend our Welcome BBQ. These types of events are so important as we continue to establish our school community and it was great to hear so many positive stories from the families who attended.
STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE COUNCIL
Recently we had the pleasure of shortlisting several students who applied for the roles of Year Level Captains for 2023 in Year 7. These students then were provided the opportunity to deliver a presentation to their group before all students voted for their preferred candidate in each role. Throughout this process, all applicants impressed us all with their commitment to the College as well as their maturity and professionalism.
As a result of this lengthy process, I am very pleased to be able to announce the following students and their roles in student leadership for 2023, where they will work with our College Leadership Team to ensure we have a successful foundation year. These students were presented with their Leadership Pins at assemblies this term.
YEAR 7 LEVEL CAPTAINS
|Mikayla Borg||Samuel Thorpe|
|Emmie Chaiha||Yassin Benhaddou|
|Ryan Babinsky||Mustafa El Akoumi|
YEAR 8 LEVEL CAPTAINS
|Narin Karadan||Safir Rahmin|
|Isabella Quagliarella||Daniel Parisi|
|Summer Brooks||Kaan Bircan|
|Waring||Rose Mlikota and Hunter Fucile|
|Garrawang||Georgia Pollakis and Keola Kang|
|Poorneet||Madison Murray and Jason Hadchity|
|Biderap||Sera Kocaturk and Ziyad Karrar|
|Madison Murray and Leyla Saylik|
2023 COLLEGE STAFFING
The College has been busy with recruitment, and in 2023 we have the following new staff:
– Learning Specialist (Growth & Enhancement) – Miss. Laura Carland
– Classroom Teacher (Mathematics / Science) – Mrs. Madeline Austin
– Classroom Teacher (English / Humanities) – Ms. Diane Dixon
– Classroom Teacher (English / Humanities) – Mrs. Grace Edis
– Classroom Teacher (English / Humanities) – Mr. Justin Crane
– Classroom Teacher (Health & PE) – Mr. James Tonna
– Classroom Teacher (Italian) – Mr. Michaelle Tomolo
– Mental Health Practitioner – Miss. Julia Bediaga
– Integration Aide – Miss. Caisha Rodden
– Integration Aide – Mrs. Jawaria Sumreen
– Instrumental Music – Mrs. Terri McPhail
The College has also completed the process to appoint staff to positions of responsibility for 2023, these include:
– Year Level Leaders (Year 7) – Mrs. Melinda Gibbons and Mr. James Tonna
– Year Level Leaders (Year 8) – Mrs. Angela Alessandri & Mr. Davey Van’t Schip
– SRC and House Leader – Mr. Justin Crane
– College Sport Coordinator – Mr. Davey Van’t Schip
– Mathematics Learning Leader – Mrs. Melinda Gibbons
– Science Learning Leader – Mrs. Angela Alessandri
– English and Humanities Learning Leader – Miss. Rene Van Rooyen
– Health and PE Learning Leader – Mr. James Tonna
– Arts and Technology Learning Leader – Mrs. Rana Bakdache
ATTENDANCE AND FAMILY HOLIDAY PLANS
Post COVID many members of our community are looking to take the opportunity for extended travel. The College would like to take this opportunity to remind families our expectation that holiday plans should be made during the term breaks – not during learning time. It is important for us all that our students are in class as much as possible and they can only do that if they are at school.
The College has now announced dates for both our 2024 Family Information Sessions and College Tours. The enrolment demand on our College continues to increase and we are looking forward to meeting future families to show them how great our school is.
Bookings for both the Information Sessions and College Tours are available by visiting our website – http://www.greenvalesc.vic.edu.au
Our College Music Program continues to go from strength to strength which has included performances at our recent Welcome BBQ. We do have a few remaining spots available for various instrumental lessons and anyone interested is encouraged to contact the College.
Greenvale Secondary College offers a number of academic enhancement programs for our students. At Greenvale, we provide opportunities for students to do things that reflect their passion or interest. This ensures students take leadership of their learning and promotes more rapid learning growth. It has been fabulous to see our Enhancement program commencing with all students being supported to achieve high levels of learning growth.
2023 ANNUAL IMPLEMENTATION PLAN
The College Annual Implementation Plan (AIP) documents a sharp and narrow focus on school improvement priorities and provides clarity and purpose for all members of the school community as they work towards the Goals.
The plan for 2023 was developed based on parent, student and staff input and we are excited with the work we have agreed to deliver this year.